A firebox basket is an accessory for your smoker that contains the coal in the center of the firebox, ensuring that air can flow above, under and around all sides of the fuel. Better airflow means better smoke, and that makes better barbecue. If you need it, Click Here to get the premium quality firebox basket.
- Assemble the charcoal basket according to the instructions. charcoal baskets are made of metal and with a perforated bottom and sides.
- Place the charcoal basket in the firebox of your offset smoker or on the charcoal grates of your Char-Griller grill. Make sure the basket is centered and stable.
- A charcoal basket can help you maintain a consistent temperature by preventing your coals from spreading out too much and losing heat.
- Fill the basket with charcoal. Start off with a smaller load and build up from there, as needed. Use a high-quality charcoal, such as lump charcoal or briquettes, and avoid using self-lighting charcoal, which can impart a chemical taste to your food.
- Tip: If you’re using fire starters, wedge a couple into the charcoal just under the top layer of charcoal. They will light the charcoal from the top and slowly burn down.
- Put wood blocks on charcoal, or arrange them into several layers of charcoal and wood blocks. The layered method will provide you with more consistent smoke when each layer is ignited and burned, rather than smoking at the beginning.
- If you are using logs or sticks, please add sticks (diagonal from the bottom to the top of the basket) first, and then pour the coal on the top of the sticks. When charcoal burns, different parts of the wood catch fire, making you smoke slowly and controllably all the way down.
- Set the firebox basket into the firebox and light.
- As the charcoal burns down, you may need to add more to keep the fire going. shake the basket to knock off excess ash. Then use a long-handled spatula to bank the remaining fuel and live coals against one side of the basket. This leaves about two-thirds of the charcoal basket empty where you can use tongs to carefully add more charcoal to the basket.
- Note: or you can choose to light the charcoal using a chimney starter or other method. Wait until the coals are fully lit and covered with a thin layer of ash before proceeding.
- When you're finished cooking, allow the coals to burn out completely before disposing of them. Always dispose of used charcoal in a safe manner, such as by placing them in a metal container with a lid.
- Using a charcoal basket can help you achieve more consistent results when cooking on your Char-Griller grill or offset smoker. With a little practice, you'll be able to use your charcoal basket to achieve delicious, perfectly cooked barbecue every time.
If you need other parts for your grill, please Click Here to place an order. If you don't know your model number, please send the pics of your grill and label to Support@grillpartsreplacement.com and we will identify the correct parts for you.